Andy Rooney discusses how Americans remember their ex-Presidents, and how what we read, see and hear about them from media sources shapes our opinion of them. These days, we are actually very lucky, as we see much more of our Presidents than ever before. Every major speech foreign and domestic is readily available to view online, and is often covered in the news media both online, on TV, blogs, and in other sources.
Additionally, we have something that other generations could only dream of… the ability to interact with our Presidents or their official PR people on a daily basis, and see minute-details and news about them via social networks like Facebook and Twitter, and through unique formats like youtube, live-video feeds and chats, virtual Google+ Town Halls, and the like.
As such, I would reckon that the modern American is much more in tune with what the American President, in this case President Barack Obama, is actually like, than people had in previous decades. And it is only thanks to the amazing advancements in technology that we have made in such a short period.
For example, I was able to quickly and easily watch former President George W. Bush and current President Barack Obama together at Bush’s official portrait unveiling, it was covered in the TV news, posted online at many publications, and was easily found via CSPAN. In the old days, it’d barely get a mention in the newspaper. And very few people would have seen the actual speech, much less in its entirety.
And that should leave us very thankful for the wide variety of information and resources that we have at our fingertips in this day and age.
Previous Andy Rooney On Videos:
* Andy Rooney On the Middle East. Utah and Utaq, Mesopotamia and Persia, Iraq Half the Size of Texas [Posted On October 28 2012]
* Andy Rooney On WWII and Covering the 8th Air Force Division During World War II [Posted On July 11 2012]
* Andy Rooney On Ex Presidents [Posted June 13 2012]
* Andy Rooney On His Critics [Posted June 1, 2012]
* Andy Rooney On Lists and Magazines [Posted May 26, 2012]
* Andy Rooney On A Woman US President and Why We Haven’t Had One. Plus Ar Women Smarter Than Men? What Countries Have Women Presidents [Posted May 21, 2012]
* Andy Rooney On Computers, Bill Gates, Off Being On (Start) and Typewriters (Andy’s Funniest Video) [Posted May 9, 2012]
* Andy Rooney On eBooks and eReaders… Physical vs digital (Kindle, Nook, etc.) [Posted May 2, 2012]
* Andy Rooney On the 5 Worst Inventions of All Time [Posted April 25, 2012]
* Andy Rooney On Saving, Investing, Money, Finances, Bailouts and the National Debt [Posted April 19, 2012]
* Andy Rooney On President Obama’s Election [Posted April 14, 2012]
* Andy Rooney On the Death of Osama Bin Laden [Posted April 12, 2012]