The biggest release of this week, if not of the month, is most definitely Diablo 3. Diablo 3 is the long-awaited Blizzard-developed sequel to the hit hack-and-slash loot-dropping action RPG series that blew up on the PC and became one of the biggest and most long-played PC videogame series of all time. The original Diablo was released way back in 1996 with its sequel, Diablo 2, hitting over a decade ago in 2000. To put that into perspective, Diablo 1 was released the same year as Super Mario 64 on the N64 and Diablo 2 was released a year BEFORE Final Fantasy X. Old games indeed, but even so people still routinely play and praise them today!
Finally, a modern entry in the series has been released with Diablo 3! This game has been in development for an ETERNITY, first announced way back in 2008. So the game has been in-development for no less than four-years! A true eternity in videogame time. Will the game be worth the wait? We’ll have to wait and see! But already the game sits pretty atop the pre-order charts, so sales for Activision Blizzard are sure to be through the roof!
Not to be outdone is the long-waited third entry in Rockstar’s Bullet-time action series “Max Payne”, with Max Payne 3. Finally the action hero of last-generation is being restored for modern times. So this is a very exciting release and definitely one of the biggest and most highly-anticipated releases of the year!
Another big release this week is Game of Thrones, a huge, epic western-style RPG published by Atlus Games (Of Japanese RPG fame), and based on the hit TV show of the same name. It’ll be interesting to see how big of game it is, and how well it sells. Making it an RPG in the vein of “The Witcher” or “Skyrim” was a very smart idea… The 3DS is also getting a new title with Mario Tennis Open from Nintendo & Camelot!
Console and PC Releases of the Week, Physical and Digital (May 14-May 20th 2012):
* Diablo III + Collector’s Edition (May 15th) – PC
* Max Payne 3 (May 15th on Xbox 360 and PS3. May 29th on PC)
* Game of Thrones (May 15th) – Xbox 360, PS3
* Mario Tennis Open (May 15th) – 3DS
* Battleship (May 15th) – Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DS; Based on the movie of the same name.
* Akai Katana (May 16th) – Xbox 360; Bullet-hell 2D side-scrolling Shooter published by Rising Star Games.
* Test Drive: Ferrari Legends (May 15th) – Xbox 360, PS3
* Kids Learn To Think: A+ Edition (May 15th) – DS
Here is a Diablo 3 Trailer:
Max Payne 3 Launch Trailer:
Keep an eye out for the Digital Releases of the Week this Thursday.
See Previous Weekly Videogame Releases Articles:
* Digital Videogame Releases of the Week (May 7th – May 13th 2012) – Minecraft Xbox 360
* Videogame Releases of the Week – May 7th 2012 – May 13th 2012 – Starhawk
* Videogame Releases Of the Week (Physical & Digital): April 30th – May 6th 2012 – Tera Online
* Videogame Digital Downloads of the Week for April 23-April 29th 2012 – The Walking Dead: The Videogame Episode 1, BloodForge
* New Videogame Releases – April 23rd – April 29th 2012 – Prototype 2
* March 19th Videogame Releases – Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, Ninja Gaiden 3, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Silent Hill HD Collection
* The History of Videogame Handheld Systems, Portable Gaming On-the-Go